Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It doesn't have to be the same as everyone else!

Most religions are more than just a religion. There is the Faith (beliefs/teachings), the practice (meetings/duties,etc) culture (tradition, socialization) and stereotype!
Generally stereotype is based on the culture of the religion, we can all think of several catholic, Jewish, Mormon, and evangelic stereotypes. Stereo types generally come about with because of a strong culture. There are often stereotypes about a religions own culture started by it's members.

So, a stereotypical LDS (Mormon) reception, is done at the closest meeting house in the gym, (or 'cultural center' - gym with a stage, so it doesn't sound like gym). They are generally catered by the churches women's organization, it's an open house type of format; people come, get some creme puffs, finger sandwiches and, if lucky, a helping of some sort of casserole, often including cream of chicken an or tater tots! And, for stereotype's sake, I'm throwing in a jello dish of some sort, maybe with suspended bananas.

Though we, Desiree and I, have attended many of these, we don't often photograph them, because...well we just don't. We had a similar reception, we chose to do it in a friends backyard, to break from tradition. Everything else was the same though, right down to the creme puffs.

It's so fun to work with a couple who really wants to break from the norm, the stereotype, the tradition, the jello mold and do their own thing. Brianna and Sam did just that. The wedding ceremony and sealing was, of course, done at the temple with their closest friends and family. The reception, was where they were able to express themselves. It was awesome.

Desiree and I showed up about 45 minutes to an hour before the reception started at the historic San ysidro church in Corrales. I walked in to the smell of fresh Krispy Kreme donuts. I can't tell you how good that church smelled. I wished church smelled like that more, it would be easier to get the kids to get dressed. Anyway, at the far end of the room there was a doughnut tower and cupcake cake being assembled by Sam's sisters. I wanted a doughnut so freakin' bad I could hardly stand it. I did have enough respect for Jessica, to stay away from her tower while she finished it. Even though the smell was deliciously amazing. after about 2 hours of smelling it, my blood sugar rose and I was more jittery and less interested in eating one, huh, go figure...

So 6:00 came and so did the Pizza. What pizza? you bet! Boxes of Dion's pizza, and salad. So if you started walking in the back of the church you were first hit with the smell of Dion's pizza. As you got closer to the front of the church the pizza smell was being intermingled with the doughnut smell... It's hard to work in conditions like that!!

Anyway, the rest of the evening was great fun, Brianna's family got up on stage with the band and sang a couple of songs and Brad, Brianna's dad played bass guitar.

We stayed til they made their exit and poor Brianna was pelted with birdseed by her younger sister with wicked good aim. (she didn't think to empty the birdseed out of the package and through it... ouch!

We have known Brianna's family for many years and it was pretty fun to be able to see the first of many daughters get married! Ahh, Life!




























63 comments:

Brad Fackrell said...

Seth, You just made me cry again. Brad, father of Brianna:)

Unknown said...

Brad, thank you for letting us be a part of Brianna's wedding. We had a great time, We love and admire you and Janet! And Brianna was absolutely beautiful.

Brianna said...

Those are absolutely AMAZING! Thanks so much!

Brianna said...

Thanks so much! I absolutely LOVE them!

Rori said...

Absolutely fun and beautiful! I love that is was what Brianna and Sam wanted!

Unknown said...

The pictures are beautiful! I am very sad that I was not able to be there, but I feel like a part of it when I look at the work from your amazing talent :) Thank you for sharing these!
Alexa Renae Pace (friend of the happily married couple)

Diana said...

The pictures are absolutely amazing! They truly capture Brianna and Sam's personalities, as well as their honest love for one another. Thank you for honoring their special day with such beauty!

DLucero said...

WOW!!! These pictures are absolutely amazing! It makes me happy to see such beautiful work capturing so many timeless moments. I'm at a loss for words.

Dora Thomas said...

Congratulations, you both are so cute, He looks so in love.

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos, looks like it was a beautiful day as well. Congrats :)

Kristi said...

These are darling photos!

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are amazing. They make good old NM look so beautiful, and the two of you are so amazing together. Great pictures.

Mariah said...

It's great! Congrats :)

Nicole Blake said...

These photos are absolutely gorgeous! I love how happy Sam and Brianna look! You did a wonderful job capturing the love that they have for eachother!
Nicole (friend of Sam and Brianna)

Jennifer said...

Beautiful!!! It's so strange to me that a girl I used to babysit is all grown up and married! :P Congratulations!!!

Unknown said...

Sam, I am so happy for you. What a beautiful wedding. Congrats. Hope you get your pictures! Peace and love to you both!

Katrina said...

These are so cute! I'm sad I wasn't able to make. It looks like it was a day to remember! Love you guys!

Shelby

Kimberlei said...

Brianna! It is so incredible to see you all grown up and beautiful!
Pictures are incredible, as always.

Unknown said...

One wonderful day down, ∞ more to come.

I'm so happy for the both of you.

tori said...

Love the pictures. Had a great time You are an adorable couple and the picture capture your fun and loving spirits.

Danielle said...

They are amazing pictures! Great eye to details.

Kathryne Hughes said...

What beautiful pictures! I am glad that I got a chance to see them.

Unknown said...

Those pictures were fantastic! I wish the best for the both of you.

Unknown said...

It is so good to see such a happy new family and familiar old friends! Congratulations on your wedding!

Hannah said...

Beautiful! These are wonderful photos.

Unknown said...

Sam, I am so very happy for you and your beautiful bride!!! These pictures are astounding and so full of energy and character. I wish you two nothing but joy and a life of big smiles! Be blessed!

-Adrianne Hopper

lovethenewkidney said...

I would have died to have even ONE wedding photo as amazing as these.
BEST PHOTOGRAPHERS EVER!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great pics!

--RG

janie said...

Oh, how wonderful to see your happiness!!! Brianna, you'll always be one of my favorite YW:) The photos capture your joy and you'll treasure them forever.

Ashley said...

These are absolutely brilliant. Congrats Sam!

Unknown said...

YAY! Congratulations Sam And
Brianna!

Brian D. said...

Sam, The ones with the luminarias are greatly shot, and of course, have that NM flair.

Anonymous said...

They look beautiful and the pictures are great . Looks great and a lot of fun. Sierra Wright

Stephanie Johanna Moats said...

Sam, congrats! You (and the lovely bride) look so very happy. I wish you both the best in your new lives together.

Eric Roberts said...

Sam! I'm glad to see that you're obviously doing very well! Congrats pal :) Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely beautiful! You two are such an amazing couple! So happy for you both!

Be, Br, E and A said...

Thanks for making our "cakes" look so good. Oh and Brianna and Sam look amazing too:) It's making me super jealous. I wish I could flash back and to my wedding and have it captured like you captured theirs. (Becky--One of the "sisters")

Erick said...

Awesomesauce!

Danny said...

Wow I love the pic with your tie - Come on follow me... ^^

Nas Ahan said...

Wow these are fantastic photos. They really deliver the positive spirit of this couple, just as I know Sam and am sure that Brianna is too. Good jub.

Anonymous said...

These picture are absolutely amazing! Congratulations to both of you!

Cheri Hudson Passey said...

Beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

Brianna's cousin, Hannah Martinez:

Brianna you look so beautiful in these pictures and more importantly, so HAPPY! It is so great to see you with such a radiant smile on your face. The two of you look very much in love, and I hope Xavier and I can visit you sometime soon, since we are just a state away now :)

sarahlove said...

Wonderful images!! The donut tower?! Fun, fun, fun!!!!

Jess & Jessica said...

We LOVE the pictures! The new love between this cute couple was captured beautifully! You guys look amazing. :)

Whitney Whetten said...

These photos are wonderful! I am sad that I missed it, but Argentina was wonderful too! I hope you two have a great forever together

Traci said...

Beautiful!!!Congrats!!!

Jared and Jennifer said...

Amazing! You captured Sam and Brianna beautifully! I especially love the truly candid shots that portray their personalities, excitement and love!!! Congrats again Brianna & Sam!

Anonymous said...

Awesome sauce! Looked like a party and a half! Sam Hobbs... you beautiful man you:)
-Brian Hayes

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful occasion. Congrats Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs!

Unknown said...

Awesome pictures! They are so beautiful. Thank you both for sharing, it was nice to get to share your special day with the both of you!

Stacey and Mario

Unknown said...

Julie and I loved the photos. They even made Sam look good!

Elizabeth said...

Stunning photos. Congratulations to the beautiful couple!

Paul said...

Sam and Brianna make me super happy. I am glad they are married!

These photos are amazing, and the reception was awesome too. I'm just glad I only made it into one photo lol.

Also the Dion's and the Krispy Kreme were amazing. Mr. Fackrell literally forced a leftover pizza into my hand so I came home with three large Dion's pizzas.

But yes, the pictures are amazing.

Daniel Bruce said...

Awesome Picks Sam. Erin and I were married in the old San Ysidro church. Great pictures.

ben jones said...

hay man those pics were awsome!

angiehd said...

Wonderful photos! I'm so happy for you and Brianna, Sam. I wish I could have been there. (Seth - I don't suppose there's a photo of Evan, Sam's dad, in the band, is there? I think I see his toes in one...)

- Angela Hobbs Dosé, Sam's aunt

Unknown said...

Wow, these pictures are amazing! I don't think I was even invited, but it looks like it was a lot of fun :)

Unknown said...

You two were beautiful.

Unknown said...

Tana said... I love your pictures!! You look beautiful Brianna!

Jamie said...

Beautiful pics! You are a dazzling bride Brianna!

Unknown said...

Amazing!!! Brianna and Sam, you are gorgeous and these photos are genious. I absolutely love it!!

Autumn said...

These are so amazing! congrats!!! :)These will be so nice to show your kids someday, like in 10 years :)