Friday, August 19, 2011

Hey Jude...welcome to the world

I stopped into the hospital to check and see how Dan & Andrea were doing, before the hard labor begins when there is still laughing and story telling,  Dan and I are talking about how crazy my work schedule tends to get and he said, 'and why you still want to do this?' Meaning show up at middle-of-the-night-thirty and photograph a baby joining this world?!  I answered him, you'll see!
 I went home for a few hours to try to get some sleep hoping that it wouldn't be too long until I received the text saying it's time! A few texts "she is progressing well, probably a few more hours" and then at 4:45am: "she's at a ten, game on!?  I hopped out of bed and rushed to the hospital.  Arriving there, I found Andrea in bed finding some relief from her pain with an epidural. A few nervous, soon to be grandpas and grandmas,  stood by ready to meet their grand-baby.  I am always amazed at the process a woman instinctively knows, they listen to their bodies and know what to do to bring their baby into the world.  We watched her struggle and hurt and strain every muscle, I watched as Dan anguished seeing his wife hurt and knowing there wasn't anything he could do to relieve that pain, only time could do that. I saw him stroking her arm, whispering words of encouragement  And just when you think that's enough, that she can't possibly handle anymore, I  hear the midwife say, "five more good pushes and you will get to meet your baby, you can do this!" After two hours of extreme strength, he was here.  And that pain is eased and will soon be forgotten, I hear a baby take his first breath and make a good cry, and as I survey the room that miracle of the life amazes all present.  And then joy erupts, laughter returns, tears fall freely, hugs and kisses of congratulations are given.  They get to hold him for the first time, and this baby who has been a part of them for nine months gets to see them and they get to meet him.
A few minutes later, Dan looks up at Andrea and the other women in the room and, in awe, simply states "You women, I don't know how you do it, you are amazing."
And I said, 'see, this is why I do it!'
Welcome to the world little one, and congratulations to Dan & Andrea.

-Desiree










































































If you or someone you know might be interested in birth photography, I would love to share in their brand New Day.

2 comments:

sarahlove said...

Beautiful in every possible way. Desiree has a special gift for capturing new life.

Rori said...

I am crying! That is beautiful! Thank you for sharing!